Rising sea levels, melting polar ice caps, global warming, climate change, increased pollution levels, toxic waste, health hazards and the numerous warnings issued by scientists and environmentalists the world over just point to one thing – we need to take our responsibility to the planet more seriously, and work collectively towards environmental sustainability before it’s too late to help the planet. Each one of us can contribute to help make the planet a greener place, and it all starts with little changes in your lifestyle.
Here are a few simple ways of ‘Going Green’ that one can implement in daily life for a greener environment.
- Save Energy
Energy generation in today’s world is dependent on rapidly depleting fossil fuels such as coal, oil or gas, which is also responsible for Carbon and GHG emissions – the primary cause of Global Warming. Lowering energy consumption can not only help conserve these energy resources but also help lower carbon emissions. Here are a few ways to help you save energy.
1. Line dry your clothes
2. Ride a bicycle or walk as often as possible.
3. Turn off lights when you don’t need them.
4. Suggest implementing a policy for compressed work weeks and/or telecommuting at your workplace.
5. Working four ten-hour days or working from home one or more days a week reduces commuting and traffic, leading to fewer automobile emissions.
6. Unplug all unnecessary appliances.
7. Use rechargeable batteries instead of disposable batteries.
- Utilize Resources Efficiently
Sustainable use of natural resources is important as all natural resources are limited. Mindful use of these resources also helps save the environment and drives economic growth. Here are a ways to utilize resources more efficiently -
1. Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth.
2. When using the copier at work, always make two-sided copies. If your printer also has a double-sided feature, use it.
3. Car pooling or using public transport as much as possible is an effective way to utilize fuel efficiently.
4. Share and Borrow instead of buying personal books and movies.
5. Don’t splurge on the latest gadgets. Use your cell phone, laptop and other electronic products as long as possible.
6. Remove those curtains and open your windows for natural lighting and save on your power bills.
- Purchase Green Products
A cautious buyer is a smart buyer. It is very important to know what you are purchasing. This time when you go shopping try following things and be loyal to the planet-
1. Make sure that the product is durable and eco-friendly
2. Stop using disposable items or bags. Invest in good quality reusable products.
3. Use reusable cloth to clean your kitchen instead of disposable paper towels.
4. Use suppliers who will take back their recyclable or reusable products at the end of their life for proper disposal, recycling or remanufacturing.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Everyone knows the mantra of the 3 Rs. Now it’s time to put it into practice in your daily lives -
1. Donate to and/or Shop at Thrift Stores.
2. Repurpose glass jars & left over containers.
3. Upcycle and/or donate old clothes and accessories.
4. Keep electronics out of the trash can and recycle e-waste responsibly.
5. Go online to find new or gently used secondhand products.
- GO Green
Everyone likes it green, it soothes your eyes. Why not live green every day?
1. Eat local and seasonal food which doesn’t have to be transported or preserved.
2. Take interest in gardening.
3. If you think you have smaller space then just plant small herbs and enjoy its freshness.
4. Decorate your living room with fresh flowers as the center piece.
Green living doesn’t require money; in fact it saves money in the long run and it is healthy both for you and the planet. Put these simple tips into practice and be a responsible inhabitant of our planet. After all, the Earth is the only home we have.