Mobile phones today are one of the leading generators of e-waste. Almost all of us want the latest mobile phone with all the latest features and technology in our hands. But we don’t give much thought to what happens to the old mobile phone. Mobile phones and other electronics contain a number of elements and components, which if not disposed properly, could end up having adverse effects on the environment. Some of these components are also quite hazardous to the human body.
We want those new phones, and we don’t want to pollute the environment. So what do we do? Well, we could opt for mobile phones that are more eco-friendly. Many mobile companies have already begun launching mobile phones that are less harsh on the environment and are eco-friendly. Last year in 2011, GoodGuide (a TechCrunch50 alumni company) rated mobile phones based on their environmental performance. Various factors were taken into consideration, such as the components of the phones, recyclable qualities and the energy efficiency of the phones. Nokia topped GoodGuide’s environmental chart while Blackberry came in last. Apple stood third. Here we will take a look at some of the most eco-friendly mobile phones available in the market today.
Green Mobile Phones: Some of the Best Options
Here’s a look at the top five green mobile phones, along with the features that make them green:
- Nokia C6-01 – The Nokia C6-01 handset is among the top rated eco-friendly green mobile phones available today. It is entirely made using recycled materials and is powered by one of the most eco-friendly batteries available in the market. The product is even packaged using 100 percent recycled materials. The phone also features an energy efficient charger, which further helps to lower its environmental footprint. The Nokia C6-01 handset is high on features as well; it has high resolution camera and a brilliant color display, making it a good option.
- Nokia C7-02 – The Nokia C7-02 handset is manufactured using a nickel free process. The phone also features a strong and highly efficient power management system, which works in tandem with the Symbian operating system. The ambient light sensor adjusts the brightness of the screen automatically based on the available lighting. The phone also reminds users to unplug the handset’s charger, when it’s been fully charged.
- Nokia E-700 – If you are looking for an eco-friendly phone, but want a physical keypad along with a touchscreen feature, the Nokia E-700 handset will be a good choice. The phone is made without using any PVC. Also it doesn’t have any of brominated or chlorinated compounds usually found in mobile phones and electronics, which makes it safe for recycling. Being eco-friendly doesn’t mean you have to compromise on style and features. The slide-out QWERTY keypad makes typing easy. It also features an 8 megapixel camera, along with Wifi and 3G connectivity, and a big 4.0 inch touchscreen display.
- Samsung Galaxy Ace - The Samsung Galaxy Ace is made from recycled materials, which allows users to lower their environmental footprint, and still enjoy all the functionalities of an Android powered smartphone. The smartphone’s battery, packaging and the handset itself are made from reused materials, and can be recycled once the phone’s life ends.
- Apple iPhone 4S - The iPhone 4S has several green eco-friendly features that are aimed at reducing the smartphone’s environmental impact. It is completely PVC free, the LED backlit display contains no mercury, the display glass is free from arsenic and the packaging is bio based. Also, the smartphone’s power adapter is known to be one of the best when it comes to global energy efficiency standards.
So there it is, some of the best eco-friendly mobile phones available in the market today. There are a number of other green handsets too. Go ahead and check them out! And remember to stay GREEN!!